TracFone Wireless, Inc. Unlocking Policy
Para ver la versión en español de la Política de Desbloqueo de TracFone, haz clic aquí.
To find out if your device is eligible to be unlocked or eligible for a partial refund or trade-in, please click here.
Handsets offered for sale by TracFone (with the exception of iPhones) are locked to TracFone service, and not technically capable of being unlocked. TracFone has recently entered into an agreement with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding handset unlocking. Next year TracFone will begin launching handsets which are capable of being unlocked.
In the interim, beginning September 1, 2015, non-SafeLink subscribers with handsets which cannot be unlocked may be eligible for a partial refund. This program is subject to the following requirements:
- Customers must request handset unlocking.
- Customers must have had their locked device activated on TracFone service for no fewer than 12 months, redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported.
- Customers must request this interim unlocking solution while their service is active or within 60 days after their active service days expire. This 60-day grace period applies even if the customer’s telephone number was recycled or ported.
- Customers must currently own a TracFone branded handset model launched on TracFone’s service after February 11, 2014 or activated with TracFone’s service after February 11, 2015.
- Customers must possess a handset that is in working condition.
- Customers must possess a handset that is not reported stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.
- If a customer requesting handset unlocking is deployed military personnel, upon provision of deployment papers, TracFone will honor that customer’s unlocking request by sending a refund for the Trade-in Value of the used, locked phone returned by the customer without regard for the 12 months of service activation and air card redemption eligibility requirements. However, all other eligibility criteria apply to TracFone’s customers who are deployed military personnel.
- Customers are eligible for this program only once every twelve months.
After an eligible customer contacts TracFone to request the trade-in value of his or her handset, TracFone will provide a prepaid mailer for the customer to return the used, locked handset. Upon receipt of the device, TracFone will send the customer a check for the trade-in value of the handset. The trade-in value is determined by a formula reached through agreement with the FCC. Next year, after handsets capable of being unlocked have been launched by TracFone, an eligible customer may elect to have the trade-in value of their handset applied to the cost of a new TracFone handset that is capable of being unlocked.